Friday, May 25, 2007

ssshhhhhh....

hear that? nope, nothing. Not an irrate email asking for an "urgent" yet pointless task to be completed in the next 5 minutes. No inane questions. No phone calls asking you to repeat what you wrote in your email.

Manglement have the day off.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Peace and quiet - bliss. I've had a nightmare week work wise, dozens of urgent tasks that involved me working like a demon only to find out that they weren't urgent after all. countless pointless questions repeated over and over. My particular favourite was yesterday's exchange on the phone:

"Daisy, has the project been completed now?"

- yes, see my email I sent yesterday.

"ah, does it take into consideration the comments from the customer?"

- Open the email

"yes"

- what does it say?

"Here are the completed project files"

- and underneath that, what does it say?

"Here is the completed project documentation"

- and underneath that, what does it say?

"this takes into consideration all the customer comments. Oh!, aha-ha, so it does. Thanks"


And so it goes. The urgent project that I completed for this guy and he doesn't even have the good manners to read the sodding email.

I haven't actively hated someone this much in a long time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soul destroying isn't it! That said, this particular scenario sounds slightly better than what I found to be the norm in the past. Generally, on delivery of an urgent project, one finds ones self in a communication vacuum. Over the years, I have trained myself to deliver, wait a week then pat myself on the back for a job well done since, if 'they' are not screaming at you, the project must have been a resounding success. At least in this situation you got some feed back - from a real person - a gormless fool by the sound of it but a person none the less. Ironically, one of the smoothest projects I ever worked on was for a product which was never ever going to be used (they even put that in the brief!!). In this case, the customer just wanted to feel happy that we had the engineering ability and processes in place before they ordered their new toys. As such, they were focused on the process instead of the end product. I had their full attention and they were really easy to deal with. Rather difficult to get much satisfaction out of three months work that was only ever going to sit on a shelf gathering dust though. Still, 'we' got paid for it and they went on to buy lots of new toys so the bean counters were happy..........

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home